John M. Alongi (Ph.D. 1998, Northwestern; Associate Professor of Instruction) is a mathematician and practitioner in mathematics education and writing. Alongi’s research in topological dynamical systems has focused on the structure of hyperbolic sets and modes of recurrence. He is the author of several papers and co-author of the graduate textbook Recurrence and Topology (2007). Alongi has been active as a consultant, editor and reviewer for major educational publishers including Pearson, John Wiley & Sons, McGraw Hill and W.H. Freeman.
As an instructor, Alongi has been the Charles Deering McCormick University Distinguished Lecturer and a recipient of the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Teaching Award. In 2008 the Northwestern Chronicle named Alongi one of the Top 5 professors at Northwestern. The Associated Student Government has regularly elected him to its Faculty Honor Roll. Since 2009 Alongi has been Director of Mathematical Experience for Northwestern Undergraduates (MENU).
Alongi has served on the faculties of Pomona College, Carleton College and California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
- Alongi, John M. and Stephen F. Kennedy. ``Slippery Centroids." College Mathematics Journal 3 (2001): 197--199. Rpt. in Edward J Barbeau. More Fallacies, Flaws and Flimflam (2013): 70--72.
- Alongi, John M. and Gail S. Nelson. Recurrence and Topology. Graduate Studies in Mathematics 85. Providence: American Mathematical Society, 2007.
- Alongi, John M. ``A Geometric Proof of the Addition Identity for Sine." PRIMUS 1 (2005): 81--85.
- Alongi, John M. ``Accessibility and Hyperbolicity." Illinois Journal of Mathematics 2 (2001): 681--691.
- Alongi, John M., Deanna Haunsperger, Gail S. Nelson and Eric Westlund. ``Recommendations on Recommendations." PRIMUS 4 (1999): 374--382.
- Charles Deering McCormick University Distinguished Lectureship, 2013--2014
- Arts & Sciences Alumni Teaching Award, 2011
- Top NU Professor, Northwestern Chronicle, 2008
- Lockheed Martin Most Supportive Professor Award, Society of Women Engineers, 2006