Independent Study

Independent study courses ("499"; also called "reading courses") are an excellent way for students to explore specific topics not covered by the regular course offerings. They are also a way for students to learn of areas of research of the faculty. As such, they play an essential role for graduate students in search of an adviser.

A student wishing to enroll in 499 must file a brief syllabus, prepared by the faculty member supervising the Independent Study, with the Graduate Program Assistant (Emily Green) by the first day of class, using this form. Independent study courses should not duplicate regular courses offered by the department. In particular, if a course was offered in the near past or will be offered in the near future, then a request to enroll in a 499 course in a similar subject would most likely be denied.