Skip to main content

Course Registration


Graduate courses are an essential component of a mathematician’s training. Graduates of the Northwestern mathematics program are expected to be well-rounded, in part by having taken courses in a wide variety of subjects. In addition, several courses are research-oriented and presentation-based, offering training for some of the specific skills needed by research mathematicians. Beyond these general expectations, the departmental and University legislation provides for certain minimal requirements related to the course work.

The minimal full-time course load for Mathematics graduate students in the first three years is three courses per quarter. It is possible to register for four  courses with no increase in tuition. Graduate students in each of their first three  years are required to enroll in at least seven regular mathematics courses (i.e., not including 499 independent study courses) each year, and at least one such course per quarter. Students who have passed their qualifying examination may count post- candidacy research (TGS 500) toward this requirement. Substitutions or exceptions require the advanced approval of the Graduate Committee.

Graduate students must fulfill a residency requirement of nine quarters (3 years) of full-time registration in ordinary courses. After fulfilling this residency requirement and passing the Qualifying Examination, a student should register for TGS 500 (Advanced Doctoral Study). This reduces the tuition and maintains full-time status. If a graduate student has passed the qualifying exam but not yet fulfilled the residency requirement, the student may register for Math 590 in lieu of TGS 500.

By the end of each academic year, each student is required to submit a list of the courses taken in order to demonstrate compliance with the course work and registration requirements outlined herein. Each student receiving a university fellowship for the upcoming summer must submit, prior to the end of Spring Quarter, to the Graduate Program Assistant a program of study for the summer months, approved by a supervising faculty member.

Back to top