The mathematics department has limited funds allocated to support graduate student travel to present work or attend conferences and seminars of relevance to a student's educational and/or professional development.

  1. The student should first approach his or her adviser to inquire about funding through a grant held by the adviser. Please note that funding from federal grants will carry additional limitations beyond the standard University policy, such as requiring US air carriers for foreign travel, and no alcohol. More information can be found at the following link:
  2. The student should also seek funding from other sources, such as a hosting institution or conference organizers.

After these steps are taken, the student may apply for travel support from the mathematics department directly. The standard award is $750 per student per year, and the support is provided in the form of reimbursement.

  • To apply, the student should submit by e-mail to the Graduate Program Assistant (Emily Green) a description of the conference (including titles, dates, web URL's) and the intended use and total amount of funding requested. The application should also specify other sources and amounts of funding that the student has applied for/secured.
  • The student should submit the application(s) as early as possible to secure funding before booking travel, but certainly at least one month prior to the date of travel. The student will receive a written response within 10 days.

  • After the travel is complete, the student should create an expense report and submit original receipts to the department office. The student also should submit by e-mail to the Graduate Program Assistant (Emily Green) a summary paragraph describing how the completed travel benefits the student's educational and/or professional development.

  • Once the summary paragraph has been received and approved, funds will be released for reimbursement.

NOTE: A student seeking travel support for a conference or seminar at which he or she has an opportunity to contribute a presentation must concurrently apply for a Graduate School Travel Grant. Applications are available at the Graduate School Website. The student may consult with the Business Administrator regarding budgetary questions on the application as necessary.