- The R. P. Boas Mathematics Library is located on the first floor of Lunt Hall. It has a large collection of books and journals. Some books may be placed on reserve for beginning graduate courses so all the students can have access in the library. Journals must be used in the library, though they may be signed out briefly for copying. The librarian can explain the details of book circulation policies. Normal library hours are weekdays from 8:30a-5p. Graduate students have after hours access to this library via Wildcard. Other books and journals of interest, especially those in applied mathematics, can be found in the Science-Engineering Library, east of the Technological Institute.
- Computing Facilities. Many members of the Math Department at Northwestern University use computers in important ways in their research. The department has its own subnetwork with about 50 computers in offices occupied by faculty members and staff. There is also a public computer lab in Lunt B10 with computers used as terminals to access accounts on the Math servers. These computers and three laser printers are housed in Lunt Hall and are used exclusively by the faculty and graduate students in the Math Department. Computers in the Math Department support Mathematica for symbolic and numeric mathematical calculations as well as graphical display of their output, TexT/LaTeX and related typesetting packages. Consult the computer system administrator, Miguel Lerma, for additional information.
Graduate students can obtain accounts on the department’s internal computer network and are encouraged to become familiar with its use. Each entering student should see Miguel Lerma to set up an account. The department discourages excessive personal use of departmental computer resources. The university provides many additional computer services through Information Technology. One of the most useful of these is the campus WiFi network, accessible using your NetID.
Where to Find It
- Mailboxes: Mailboxes for faculty and graduate students are located outside Room 201.
- Photocopy machine: Lunt 202 (obtain a user number from the department office to use the machine).
- Office supplies: Paper, pencils, pens, stationery, etc. are available in reasonable quantities from the office staff in Room 201.
- Texts for TA’s: Desk copies of textbooks are available from the Math Office (Lunt Hall, Rm 201).
- Computers: Several Linux computers and one Microsoft Windows XP are in Room B10. There is one laser printer in the hall of the basement and one laser printer in Room 202.